Friday, September 04, 2009

Should I stay, or should I go?

     I'm contemplating the possibilities of the future today. Although it does depend on employment, it looks more and more likely I'll be employed in the cities. Minneapolis Public Schools are a strong option: they have several jobs and have expressed initial interest. Target remains a possibility moving forward; of course, not in its current capacity; there are a number of other positions available in the southwestern suburbs, although I doubt any of them will seriously consider me. Few possibilities remain in Duluth, though the future remains ever uncertain.

     A few near certainties remain: Erin is planning to move out on the 25th of this month, a mere three weeks from today. In two weeks we will finally split finances, which should leave me with more per week than I've been accustomed to for the past three years. I will need more gainful employment, and this seems less uncertain as time progresses.

     So what to do on that magic move-out day? Should I myself seek better accommodation? Although this had seemed almost certain, I now question it. Is this apartment not adequate for one person? Am I not allowed certain freedoms in exchange for the low level of building maintenance? These are both true, of course, so I find myself with less reason to move, should I stay in the cities. I am still more interested in Duluth, but knowing Erin will not be nearby does make the Cities more appealing, or perhaps, less unappealing. I will still owe money, meaning either way I'll be paying Chuck. Should I stay, I can likely pay less per month. Indeed, I am unlikely to find a more affordable apartment either way. Beyond the immediate finances, I am not currently subject to a long term lease, allowing me to leave at a moment's notice. Indeed either way, I would be here for some amount of time. A month? Six months? Not a huge difference.

     Should I remain, some changes should be made. Of course much cleaning will be necessary. As of now, I plan to request the week after Erin leaves for vacation time. There is a loft in the bedroom, perhaps I should move the bed up there. I could then have the lower area as a study. The living room could be better spaced out, making room for a small dining table, which I may be able to procure from my parents. In addition to their old table (which they have offered in the past) I could get the chairs which match my sofa (they're currently un-used anyway.) The kitchen faucet could use replacing, a task I feel more than able to complete. Beyond that, a small rug would likely be necessary on the loft. None of this would be expensive; most is entirely free. Those few changes could really make this a reasonable abode.

     What about school? I am still interested in finishing my bachelor's degree. Augsberg and Metro State are both possibilities.

     In all, staying for the time being seems reasonable. One step at a time!

[Post Script]
     If I did leave, I wouldn't see random drunks getting arrested on the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment